How to Renew a Study
In accordance with REB requirements, approved studies must be renewed at least once per year. The Principal Investigator and Study Team are responsible for maintaining REB approval
Either the Annual Review Form or the Study Termination Form must be submitted to the REB prior to the expiration date for approved projects.
The Research Ethics Board Office is now accepting submissions of all types (Initial Review and Continuing Review) via e-mail
Completed Annual Review Forms and Study Termination Forms should be submitted to REB Submissions
- Annual Review Forms are due 30 calendar days before expiry and no later than 14 calendar days before expiry
- At the conclusion or premature closure of a study, a Termination Form must be submitted
- If your submission requires a Full Board review, please consult the meeting deadline dates found here to determine the appropriate submission deadline.
- Initiating or continuing the conduct of human subjects research in the absence of REB approval does not conform to the Tri-Council Policy Statement, and for regulated studies, is contrary to Health Canada, FDA and OHRP regulations
- A Notice of Late Submission of the Annual Review Form is required to resume activities of studies for which REB approval has expired (must submit form at least 14 days before expiry)
- Studies will be terminated after 60 days of a study expiration date. Within the 60 day grace period you may still submit your renewal with a notice of late submission